Sunday, October 23, 2011

Karl's Domicile

When I was home from college (in Melbourne, FL), I spent many evenings at Karl's, along with a very diverse group of people, including, sometimes, Karl's future wife.  There were visitors from NYC, ministers, other artists, just friends in general.  We spoke a great deal on philosophy, religion(s), politics, the use of mind altering drugs and many other topics of the day.  (This was in my neo-sophisticated period when I actually enjoyed these kinds of discussions.)  The Viet Nam war was in full swing at the time and was another frequent topic of discussion.

Smoking and Joking.

When it was a smaller group or perhaps just Karl and myself, we'd often put on The Doors or Cream and other music and attempt to interpret the songs' meanings.  The Doors was Karl's favorite group.

As I mentioned earlier, I wasn't much for taking photographs, back then, but I recently took a few photos of Karl's house in North Miami Beach:


The front doesn't look much different from thirty years ago, but I'll wager the rear is vastly different.  He had a concrete mountain filling almost the entire back yard.  It had plants growing around, some palm trees more or less behind it and had a waterfall and flowing water when it was operable.  It had colored spotlights strategically located for evening viewing.

When I was visiting, I was usually seated directly opposite what I believe was Karl's favorite painting.  Even back then, he placed upon it a price tag of $2,000, but let's face it, he had no intention of selling it; it was in his living room, not his gallery.

The painting, as I recall, was entitled "The King is Dead" and it basically consisted of a chess set in which the King was lying on its side.  I always equated it with "God is Dead."  It was a large painting and very colorful.  Karl's widow held onto it.  I'll try to get a photograph of it and maybe I can get photos of some of his other works that Anne kept, as well.

I wish I could post some photos of Karl's gallery, apparently considered the largest privately owned artist's gallery in the East at that time.  However, the building it was in was razed many years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment